August 22, 2006
We're back from vacation
We are back from a 6-weeks trip to Italy. Head over to guidojack.com for pictures.
The trip was great, and there's too much to tell.
We came back with a different baby that the one we left with. This one:
- has 2 more teeth (6 total now)
- eats just about everything we eat (he likes to feed himself)
- crawls really fast
- is close to walking, pulling himself up everywhere and taking small steps sideways while holding on to things
- waves bye-bye
- clearly says MAMMA, just not at Mariah yet (though he knows what mamma means)
- signs "dog" and "airplane" and "eat" and "drink" (more on that in a later post)
- is a social animal, demanding attention and fully interacting with other babies
- is LOUD
- has put us in a childproofing emergency when we got back
Some of the lessons we learned during this trip:
- adjust expectations. A vacation WITH a baby is much different than one PRE-baby. Vacationing with a baby means that instead of having NO time for youself, you get an hour a day or so.
- having family around should be a pre-requisite to having a child (more on that another day).
- italians have never seen a baby feed himself (and overall think it's a great thing)
- italians feed very weird things to their babies:
- italians have a long way to go towards ratial integration (I'm talkking 200+ years). The Guids was about the most exotic thing to hit southern Italy in a long time. Oh, and they like to STARE at people, especially us.
Posted by patata at August 22, 2006 01:25 PM
Is that... horse meat????
Great to have ya'll back.
Posted by: Rengirl at August 22, 2006 02:41 PM
Ha Ha so you saw that kids here eat rabbit, ostrich and horse. I think it is weird too and plan to feed the little Sprog what I grew up eating, Chinese with a bit of Italian mixed in.
Posted by: Sprog Mamma at August 24, 2006 03:11 AM
OMG Please tell me that is NOT horse!!!
I'm 100% Italian and I've NEVER heard of such a thing.
ok, I'm gonna be sick now.
Posted by: Maniacal at September 12, 2006 11:31 AM